Ex-Town Hall building

Home Forums Community Forum Ex-Town Hall building

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jainm jainm 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of The Makerfield Rambler
    clarkey
    Participant

Just sent by me to Cllr Bullen; I’ll report any response here.

“I note that the former Town Hall building on Bryn St is to be auctioned on 22 October. Worryingly, the sales particulars at http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Lot/Manchester/20151022/023 include a photograph of the four Ashton Stock Charities tablets still in situ on the main stairwell. (I am sure you are aware of the history – if not, please see the feature in my “Makerfield Rambler” series on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/themakerfieldrambler/albums/72157635384482427. Just click each image and then scroll down for commentary.)

Can you confirm what steps -if any- have been taken to safeguard this important aspect of Ashton’s heritage? Will the tablets be removed prior to the sale for public display elsewhere?”

clarkey
    Participant

Further to my earlier post, a meeting of interested parties has been arranged to discuss the future of the Stock Charities tablets. Details to follow when I get them.

clarkey
    Participant

Some unexpected -and welcome- news yesterday. A press release issued by Wigan MBC begins::

“Ashton Town Hall has been withdrawn from public auction thanks to a last minute deal.

Wigan Council has agreed to sell the site and building to Eric Wright Health and Care who has been working with the Wigan Borough Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).

It is hoped that this sale will now enable the company to develop new and improved health accommodation in Ashton and Bryn….”

(The full release can be found on the Council’s website.)

In regard to the stone tablets, Cllr Bullen has informed me that “There is a possibility that they main remain in situ. However, if that is not a preferred option by the new owners, their removal will be organised. A survey has already taken place, with expert technical advice assuring us that this is possible. Their destination will be discussed if and when the need arises”.

So, good news all round – and my thanks to Cllr Bullen for the part she has played in getting us to this point.

Profile photo of Ashtonian
    ashtonian
    Participant

Thanks for that Clarkey. I remember the pothers being on display at Byrchall when I was there. Maybe they could all be reunited.

Profile photo of Jainm
    jainm
    Participant

Worrying is still the fact that nobody has said that the existing building will be retained. Expect demolition.
    As for the tablets, the best place for those would be in Ashton Library !!!
    The school and current head have about as much heritage sensibiity as a drooling developer from what I’ve heard on the AGS facebook page over th elast year or two. The school has ben unable to pass all Ashton Grammar’s shool phoros (discovered by visiting past stufìdents on a visit), stuffed under the stage in the school hall) to the Wigan Heritage people on request..
    The tablets with the fallen in the wars are I believe ‘hidden’ behind curtains at the back of the hall .
    The school’s own quad-centenary fresco being dumped in a skip.
    The list goes on sadly.
    Don’t expect Byrchall High to cherish the towns heritage is the message being given.

The tablets are Best in ASHTON library, certainly not in Wigan. as a ‘trophy’ of the council who have shown scant regard for Ashton in recent years.

Best of all would be a ressurection of the local council in some form and continued use of the building for that purpose.
    A health centre needs more room and pasrking than available on that site °(as discussed on the Ashton Pics fb page in recent days..

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by Profile photo of Jainm jainm.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar